The Panzer I was a German light tank used prior to the Second World War, and in the initial campaigns of the latter. Design work begain for what would become the Panzer I in 1932 with production begining in 1934 and running through 1937. Germany used Panzer I’s during the Spanish Civil War in support of General Francisco Franco’s Nationalists; further, Germany would provide a number of Panzer I tanks to the Nationalists. Germany supplied a number of Panzer I tanks to the Chinese Nationalists; which were used during the Second Sino-Japanese War. Germany additionally supplied a selection Panzer I and Panzer I based command tanks to Hungary during the Second World War. The Panzer I was used by Germany during the Second World War during the campaigns in Poland, France, the Soviet Union and in North Africa.
The Panzer I had a number of deficiencies compared to comparable vehicles of it’s day; and was found to be lacking even during the Spanish Civil War. Throughout it’s life attempts were made to up-gun the vehicle; and further, a selection of variants were made using the Panzer I chasis.
Panzer I versions:
- Panzer I Ausf. A
- Panzer I Ausf. B
Panzer I variants included:
- The Panzerbefehlswagen (Befehlswagen I), Sd.Kfz 265 – a command vehicle based on the Panzer I chassis.
- Panzer I Ausf. C, VK601 – boasting superior armour and a more powerful engine.
- Panzer I Ausf. F, VK1801- boasting superior armour, improved further over the Ausf. C variant and the same more powerful engine as the latter.
- Flakpanzer I – an anti-aircraft variant based on the Panzer I chassis.
- Panzerjäger I – a tank destroyer (Jagdpanzer) based on the Panzer I chassis.
- Ladungsleger I – an explosive laying vehicle based on the Panzer I chassis.
- 15 cm sIG 33 (Sf) auf Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf B – a self-propelled artillery piece based on the Panzer I chassis.
|Main Armament:||2× 7.92 mm MG13 machine guns|
|Speed:||50 km/h on-road, 37 km/h off-road|
The Panzer I Ausf. A & B:
The Ladungsleger I:
- Panzer I. (2016, August 11). Retrieved August 16, 2016, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_I <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_I>
- “Panzer I.” World War Photos. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Aug. 2016. <http://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/germany/tanks-2-3/panzer-i/>
- “SdKfz 265 Panzerbefehlswagen.” Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., 3 Aug. 2016. Web. 19 Aug. 2016. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SdKfz_265_Panzerbefehlswagen>
- “Flakpanzer I.” Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., 13 July 2016. Web. 24 Aug. 2016. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flakpanzer_I>
- “Ladungsleger I.” Wikipedia: De Vrije Encyclopedie. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., 22 Sept. 2014. Web. 24 Aug. 2016. <https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladungsleger_I>
- “Panzer I Variants.” Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., 2 July 2016. Web. 24 Aug. 2016.<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_I_variants>
- “15 Cm SIG 33 (Sf) Auf Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf B.” Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., 22 Apr. 2016. Web. 24 Aug. 2016.<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/15_cm_sIG_33_(Sf)_auf_Panzerkampfwagen_I_Ausf_B>