After the Second World War, German AFVs would bolster armored units from around the world; this would include those of the Military of Syria. German Armour would be used by the Syrians during the Water War of 1964 to 1967 and the Six Day War of 1967.
The Syrian Military procured German tanks, assault guns, and self-propelled guns:
- Tanks: Panzer IV, over 100, specifically the Panzer IV ausf. H & G. 60 were received after refit in France (1950-1952). 50 more were received from Czechoslovakia in 1954. The Soviet DShK machine gun was mounted for an anti-aircraft role, being retrofitted on the cupola. Additionally 17 Panzer IV ausf. H were received from Spain.
- Assault guns: Jagdpanzer IV x6, both L/48 and L/70; Stug III x28
- Self-propelled guns: Hummel x5
These Syrian AFVs came from the USSR, France, Spain and Czechoslovakia. It must be stressed that specifics on numbers and sources is difficult to verify; actual figures in particularly. The Water War occurred during 1964 to 1967 and the Six Day War occurred during June of 1967; by the 1960s the German AFVs used by Syria where easily obsolete. After the Six Day War, numerous Panzer IV tanks, and even some Stug III and Jagdpanzer IV assault guns littered the battlefield; including the Golan Heights where Panzer IVs were used in fixed positions to fire on the Valley below. It has been noted that the Panzer IV was also used in a fixed fired position from the Golan Heights during the Water War. One Jagpanzer IV L/48 was knocked near Mount Hermon on the Golan Heights during the Six Day War.
On July 12 of 2014, a Panzer IV ausf. H, chassis number 89457, was auctioned; this vehicle had been originally bought by Syria in the 1950s before being captured by the Isrealis during the Six Day War. This vehicle was used as a training vehicle; before being shipped to the museum at Yad La-Shiryon. This vehicle was purchased by the Military Vehicle Technology Foundation in California. This Panzer IV included changes such as the mounting for the DShK machine gun.
Unlike the tanks and assault guns acquired by Syria, the self-propelled guns is a uncertain subject; these pictures below possibly confirm the acquisition of Hummel(s) by the Syrians however some doubt remains.
Syrian Panzer IVs and a Stug III on Display
Isreali has a captured Panzer IV ausf. G and a Stug III on display at Yad La-Shiryon, which contains an impressive collection of tanks; most of the pictures below are of these two AFVs.
- “Pz. IV in the Arad-Israeli War 1967.” Axis History Forum. Axis History, 29 June 2010. Web. 27 July 2016. <http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=20417&start=15>
- “StuG III/StuH 42 a StuG IV v Službách Cudzích Armád.” Úvodní Stránka. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 July 2016.<http://forum.valka.cz/topic/view/79297#285006>
- “Pz.Kpfw. IV – v Službách Cudzích Armád.” Úvodní Stránka. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 July 2016. <http://forum.valka.cz/topic/view/59715#118126>
- “Post War Use of Axis AFVs and Vehicles. – Weapons & Technology in WWII.”WWII Forums. N.p., 5 Dec. 2008. Web. 27 July 2016. <http://www.ww2f.com/topic/16506-post-war-use-of-axis-afvs-and-vehicles/>
- “Jagdpanzer IV Sd. Kfz. 162 – 75mm L/48 (1944).” Achtung Panzer: The History of Tanks and People of the Panzertruppe. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 July 2016. <http://www.achtungpanzer.com/jagdpanzer-iv-sd-kfz-162-75mm-l48-1944.htm>
- “Hummel Sd. Kfz. 165.” Achtung Panzer: The History of Tanks and People of the Panzertruppe. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 July 2016.<http://www.achtungpanzer.com/hummel.htm>
- “Panzerkampfwagen IV.” Achtung Panzer: The History of Tanks and People of the Panzertruppe. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 July 2016. <http://www.achtungpanzer.com/panzerkampfwagen-iv.htm>
- Surviving Pz. IV Variants. N.p.: Shadock’s Website, 25 July 2016. PDF. <http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_Panzer_IV_variants.pdf>
- “Panzer IV.” Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., 22 July 2016. Web. 29 July 2016.<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_IV>
- “Panzerkampfwagen IV Ausf. H (Sd.Kfz. 161/2).” Auctions America. RM, 12 July 2014. Web. 29 July 2016. <http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?SaleCode=LC14&ID=r0126%20>